
ACCRA, Ghana — Ghana and Morocco have agreed to initiate a visa waiver agreement for all categories of travelers from both countries, Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa announced Monday.
The agreement, which still requires ratification by the respective parliaments, is part of broader efforts to deepen bilateral ties.
“We have both additionally pledged to deepen collaboration in agribusiness, tourism and security,” Ablakwa said following a meeting with Moroccan Ambassador to Ghana, Her Excellency Imane Ouaadil.

Describing the discussions as “fruitful and assuring,” Ablakwa said the ambassador also provided strong reassurances regarding the safety of Ghanaians and other Africans living in Morocco.
This comes amid the circulation of old videos on social media falsely claiming that hundreds of Africans are being massacred in the North African country.
“Apparently, the footage in issue is an old 24th June 2022 border incident which led to the tragic, unfortunate and condemnable loss of 23 lives,” Ablakwa wrote on X. “It is worth noting that no Ghanaian casualty was recorded.”
He said Moroccan and Spanish authorities had already investigated the 2022 incident, which occurred at the border near Melilla.
The Moroccan government has also decided to double the number of scholarships offered to Ghanaian students this year, increasing from 90 to 180.
Prior to his meeting with the Moroccan envoy, Ablakwa also hosted the Russian Ambassador to Ghana, Sergei Berdnikov, and discussed bilateral cooperation.
“Ghana will continue to pursue our longstanding foreign policy of positive neutrality and serve as a credible voice for global peace,” Ablakwa said.